Thank you for visiting the Coaches Corner! To be eligible to coach you must complete:
- A concussion certification which you can obtain by visiting the Centers for Disease Control website or the National Alliance for Youth Sports website.
- A background check
- Attend the sports specific training and coaches meeting (or meet individually with a coordinator if unable to attend the meeting).
If you have completed a concussion certificate and are ready to complete a background check, please contact the appropriate staff member to begin your background check:
- Youth Volleyball: Email Logan Anderson or call 970-674-3520
- Soccer/Fall Basketball: Email Matt Lee or call 970-674-3509
- Winter Basketball: Email Josh Sandin or call 970-674-3525
- Baseball/Softball/Lacrosse: Email Bobby Warner or call 970-674-3507
- Flag/Tackle Football: Email Jay Eckhardt or call 970-674-3515
All volunteers/instructors in the Town of Windsor Parks, Recreation and Culture Department shall submit to a background check to be conducted on each volunteer for any parks, recreation and culture program. Checks will remain confidential. Individuals will not be allowed to volunteer/instruct until a completed background check has been received and approved by the Town of Windsor. A person shall be disqualified and prohibited from serving as a volunteer if the person has been found guilty of one of the following crimes:
- All sex offenses - regardless of the amount of time since the offense
- Crimes of violence - regardless of the amount of time since the offense
- All felony offenses (other than crimes of violence or sexual offenses) within the past 10 years.
- All misdemeanor offenses involving acts of violence within the past 7 years
- All misdemeanor drug and alcohol offenses within the past 5 years or multiple offenses in the past 10 years
- Any other misdemeanor within the past 5 years that would be considered a potential danger to children who might be in contact with the functions of the volunteer
Anyone who has been charged with any of the disqualifying offenses set forth above in a pending case shall not be permitted to volunteer until final adjudication of the case and the evaluation thereof in accordance with the criteria hereby established.
Guilty means a finding of guilty following a trial, entry of a guilty plea, or plea of no contest accompanied by a court finding of guilty, regardless of whether a dismissal of the case is recorded following the completion of a deferred sentence arrangement.
Volunteer Coaches are held to a high standard and are registered through the Windsor Parks, Recreation and Culture Department. The league trains coaches through the National Youth Sports Coach Association (NYSCA). By virtue of the NYSCA training and certification program coaches are trained in their responsibilities of youth sports and are required to pass a background check, complete an insurance liability form and sign a Coaches’ Code of Ethics Pledge. Coaches’ are reminded that in youth sport the consideration of the children should be placed above all and that as a NYSCA volunteer coach they are held accountable to a Code of Conduct.
Parent Volunteers (non-coaches) are also very important to the success of the league. Parents are encouraged to help during practice and games, organize snack lists, and help support the team in many different ways. Since parent volunteers do not complete a background check they are never put in charge of coaching the youth nor are they left in charge of or alone with any youth or group of youths.